I've got a new, refreshing drink to kick off your weekend.
I generally don't make a lot of "fancy" cocktails at home because it feels like a lot of work for just one person. If I'm having a drink at home then it's going to be two ingredients or less. Like a bourbon and ginger.
Or, more often than not, just one ingredient: WINE.
However, I actually had fun making/experimenting with this one. It's kind of nice to come home and spend a few minutes making something like this. Would it be even better if I had a balcony or porch to drink it on? Sure. But I try not to be a brat about things like that. Obviously.
I hate to admit this, but I got the idea for this drink from a random video I came across on Facebook. Or Twitter. Or Instagram. I honestly can't remember, but it was definitely one of the social medias! It was one of those video ads that starts playing automatically (the worst) but the minute I saw the cocktail shaker I was hooked (the best). I just jotted down the ingredients really quick and here we are.
I do remember in the video they just added the rosemary sprig at the end as a garnish, but if I'm going to add herbs to my drink then I'M GOING TO ADD HERBS TO MY DRINK. Ya know? This doesn't taste aggressively rosemary-ish...but it makes itself known.
If you hate rosemary, you can leave it out. Or maybe try another herb? I'm now super into herbs in my drinks. Would basil be good? Try it!
On that note, you can totally leave the elderflower liquor out of this one as well. I just always like to have some on hand (it's very good with champagne + the bottle looks pretty on my bar) and thought it would be nice with this.
(I just realized that if you leave both the rosemary and the elderflower liquor out then you're basically drinking a vodka and grapefruit which is a Greyhound. So we're back to the two-ingredient drinks! Go us!)
Hope you have fun plans this weekend. If you don't, plan to make yourself a fancy drink and call it a day!
Grapefruit rosemary spritz
Makes 1 drink
- 2 oz (¼ cup) white grapefruit juice
- 1.5 oz (3 TB) vodka
- ½ oz (1 TB) St. Germain
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Club soda
Put rosemary leaves and sugar to cocktail shaker and muddle together (I use the end of a wooden spoon for this). Add ice, grapefruit juice, vodka and St. Germaine and shake well. Take a little taste and see what you think. Feel free to add more sugar, rosemary, etc. until it's perfect for you. Pour over fresh ice and top with club soda (or sparkling wine!).
- I think crushed ice is fun so I used my blender to make some for these. Totally not necessary though.
- Feel free to experiment with different flavors with this one. Switch out the herbs, try gin instead of vodka, add more liquor, add a little squeeze of lemon, use sparkling wine instead of club soda, etc. This is a customizable drink!
- If you want to make this for a crowd, you can mix everything but the club soda in a large pitcher ahead of time. Just make sure to give it a quick stir before you pour and then top each individual glass with the bubbly.