- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cups grated apple, peeled and cored (I used honeycrisp apples)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 container cream cheese frosting
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x4 loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and egg for 2 minutes.
- Add apples and mix to combine.
- Add flour mix and carefully stir to combine, making sure to not overmix - stop as soon as there are no more streaks.
- Pour in loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- While cake cools, stir together cream cheese frosting with lemon zest and maple syrup.
- Frost cooled cake.
I actually like a mix of texture with the apples, so I chop some of them and grate the rest. I definitely suggest using mostly grated because the moisture/juice they impart is important with this one.
You might not need to use all the frosting, but I always like having a little extra on hand anyway for people who do want extra frosting or maybe just want to eat it off a spoon (no shame).