- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 TB salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh herbs (basil, rosemary, thyme, sage, etc.), roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and dice potatoes. You want the pieces to be pretty similar in size to ensure they all cook in the same amount of time. Add potatoes to pot, along with vegetable stock and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring pot to boil, then reduce the heat and cook until potatoes are completely tender (20-25 minutes).
- While potatoes are cooking, combine olive oil and garlic in a small pot or frying pan. Set over medium-low heat and let garlic and oil infuse. When garlic begins to sizzle remove from oil and set aside.
- Add herbs to the oil and let cook for 30 seconds. Turn off heat and set aside.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain and then dump back into pot and set over medium heat for a few seconds to get rid of any excess moisture. Turn off the heat, add reserved garlic and mash potatoes with a masher or electric beaters (be careful not to over mix!). Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in oil and herbs, or if you prefer, scoop potaotes into your serving bowl and then drizzle oil on top.
- Enjoy warm with or without gravy!