The most simple way to cook green beans, with nutty brown butter and crunchy breadcrumbs!
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter + 1 tablespoon for breadcrumbs
- 2 lbs green beans, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Cut butter into a few chunks and add to a large frying pan. Set over medium heat. Cook butter, stirring occasionally, until it begins to foam and sputter a bit. At this point, keep a close eye on it as it begins to change color.
- Once the butter is a light amber color and you start to see a few brown bits at the bottom of the pan, immediately add the green beans. Toss quickly to combine.
- Add salt and keep cooking, tossing occasionally, until beans are to your liking (I love a crisp-tender green bean!), adjusting the heat as necessary.
- Transfer green beans to your serving platter.
- Keep the pan on the stove at around medium heat, and add another tablespoon of butter.
- Once melted, add breadcrumbs and garlic and toss to combine.
- Cook until breadcrumbs get brown and toasty.
- Turn off heat and add lemon zest. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over green beans right before serving.
- If you prefer a more well-cooked green bean but don't want to burn them, feel free to parcook them in boiling, salted water for 30-45 seconds. Drain and dry before adding to the butter!