A super easy, quick bowl of roasted tomato soup for one.
- 4 roma tomatoes (about 12 oz), halved
- 1 small shallot, cut into 4-6 chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Basil (as much as you want)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Throw tomatoes, shallot and garlic on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt. Arrange tomatoes cut side up and roast for 25-30 minutes, until tomatoes shrink slightly and are caramelized on the bottom.
- Let pan cool slightly, and then add everything to your blender or any sort of vessel for an immersion blender. Add sugar and blend, adding stock as needed until you get the consistency you like.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and as much basil as you want.
- I almost always use roma tomatoes because that's just what I gravitate toward, but you can use whatever you like depending on the time of year and what kind of tomatoes you have access to. I sometimes toss a handful of cherry tomatoes on the pan as well if I happen to have them handy!
- If you don't have shallot, you can use about 1/4 of a small onion.
- You might not use all the stock - just use as much as you need to get the soup consistency you love.
- If you like a creamier soup, feel free to add a little drizzle of heavy cream at the end.
- Serving Size: ~ 1 1/2 cups