The best way to use up leftover rice, this easy fried rice for one takes no time to make! Customize with whatever vegetables and/or meat you have on hand so you can make this whenever you need a quick meal. Bulk it up with more mix-ins for a full meal, or use as a side dish.
- 1/4 cup diced sausage (1/2 - 1 link)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4-inch ginger, grated or minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons diced onion OR 2 green onions, thinly sliced (separate white/light green and dark green parts)
- 1/4 cup frozen vegetables
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
- If using meat, cook 1/4 cup sausage in small skillet/frying pan in 1/2 teaspoon oil until crispy. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Melt 1 teaspoon butter over medium-high heat in pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon minced or grated garlic, 1/2 teaspoon minced or grated ginger and the sliced white/light green part of green onion (or about 2 tablespoons diced onion). Saute for 2-3 minutes, until onions are softened and light brown.
- Add 3/4 cup rice, 1/4 cup frozen vegetables, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon oyster sauce. Mix to combine everything.
- Let cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until rice starts to get a little crispy.
- Turn off heat and drizzle with a tiny bit of sesame oil. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately!
- Instead of sausage, you can use chicken or beef. If starting from raw, cook first and remove from heat as stated. If you have leftover meat, just add it in at the end and let it warm through with everything as the rice finishes cooking.
- You can use any kind of rice for this fried rice, including white or brown. You can also try this with cauliflower rice or a grain like quinoa if you prefer!
- I like to use frozen vegetables because I always have them on hand, but leftover cooked veggies are a great add-in too. Or anything you happen to have in the fridge - just make sure whatever you use is diced small enough so it mixes in easily with the rice and cooks quickly.
- If using raw vegetables, add them in after you saute the onion, garlic and ginger and let cook for 2 minutes before adding the rice and everything else.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian