- 3 jalapenos or fresno chilis
- 6 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil (grapeseed, avocado, canola, etc.), divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1 bunch basil, torn into large pieces
- Roughly chop the jalapenos (remove seeds if you want less spice) and garlic and add to blender with honey, fish sauce, soy sauce, salt, sesame oil and 3 tablespoons of your other oil. Blend until smooth.
- Pour over shrimp and toss to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp in a single layer (work in batches, if needed) and let cook for 1-2 minutes per side - depending on size of shrimp - until caramelized and just cooked through.
- Turn off heat and immediately add basil. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately!
I find that the marinade has a hard time blending smooth when I use the jalapenos, so I just add a splash of water to help move things along.