Get crispy chickpeas without turning on your oven! Pan fried chickpeas take just 20 minutes to make and are perfect for salads, wraps or just eaten on their own as a great snack! Stir in a handful of herbs at the end for a bright, flavorful and crispy chickpeas.
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Around 2 cups herbs (I used 1 cup cilantro + ¾ cup parsley + ¼ cup chives here)
- To serve: rice, salad, avocado, lemon, etc.
- Using a clean kitchen towel, pat the rinsed chickpeas dry. They don’t need to be bone dry, but too much extra moisture will hurt their crisping ability.
- Pour oil in a large frying pan. Crush garlic cloves, add to pan and turn the heat to medium. When garlic just starts to sizzle add chickpeas, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and cumin and stir. Spread in an even layer (as much as possible) in the pan and let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While chickpeas cook, chop your herbs. I normally just pile them all on my cutting board together and chop, chop, chop. I like them to be pretty minced but a few bigger pieces/leaves are totally fine.
- When the chickpeas start to pop a little and some are split open (the majority should be nice and browned), take them off the heat and stir in your herbs.
- Serve with rice or any grain of your choice, on top of a salad with avocado or in a wrap. These are also delicious on toast, smeared with a bit of greek yogurt or ricotta on the bottom (this would obviously not be vegan)!
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit