Easy baked chicken tacos filled with caramelized onions and a creamy, cheesy sauce. This is a great way to repurpose leftover chicken for a fun, healthyish weeknight dinner. These baked tacos are super versatile so you can switch things up depending on what you have and love!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for brushing
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 12 4-inch tortillas
- To serve: Thinly sliced jalapeno, cilantro, green onions, avocado, lime wedges, etc.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 thinly sliced onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to coat onion in butter and oil. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking onions for another 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and a deep, caramelized brown color. Your stove might get this done quicker than mine, so just keep an eye on them and adjust the heat as necessary. Once they are caramelized to your liking, you'll be good to go!
- Once onions are caramelized, increase heat to medium again and add 2 cups shredded chicken, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine and warm the chicken.
- Turn off heat and add 1/4 cup sour cream and 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese. Stir until everything is combined and cheese is mostly melted.
- Optional: If your tortillas are a little stiff (corn tends to be this way), warm them up for 1-2 minutes in the oven or for 10 seconds in the microwave. You want them to be just pliable enough so you can fold them without completely breaking (a little cracking is fine!).
- Add 2 tablespoons filling to one side of tortilla. Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of shredded pepper jack cheese and then carefully fold over tortilla. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Brush or spray each taco with a little more olive oil and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until tacos are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, such as avocado, sliced jalapenos, cilantro and more sour cream if desired!
- These baked tacos are super versatile! If you don't love pepper jack cheese, feel free to use cheddar or even a taco blend if that's what you have on hand.
- The sour cream can be replaced with greek yogurt, or even heavy cream if you prefer.
- Leftovers hold up pretty well - warm them up in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes before serving.