This one pan roasted chicken breast with crispy potatoes proves you can make a delicious, comforting roast chicken dinner for one. Add a little kale for greens and you have a filling sheet pan meal in just about 30 minutes.
- 1 cup (about 4 oz) small potatoes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 chicken breast, bone-in/skin-on
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine 2 tablespoons water and 1 cup baby potatoes in a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for 2 minutes, until potatoes are steamed and slightly soft (alternatively, you can parboil them).
- Drain water, and spread out on small sheet pan. Use the bottom of a glass to lightly smash each potato - you don’t want to destroy them, but you’re looking for a good amount of surface area to crisp up. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon of oil and sprinkle with a 1/4 teaspoon salt and a little pepper. Set aside while you prepare chicken.
- Mix 1 tablespoon butter, 1 minced garlic clove , 1 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (or vinegar) in a small bowl.
- Place chicken breast on pan and use your finger to gently pry the skin away from meat. Spread the butter mixture under the skin and use your fingers to try and get it over as much surface as possible (so you want the butter to be between the skin and meat).
- Pour remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil over the top of chicken and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (highly suggest getting a meat thermometer!). Remove chicken from pan and let rest.
- While chicken rests, add 2 cups torn kale leaves to the pan and toss to coat in the oil and chicken drippings on the pan.
- Return pan to oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until potatoes are super crispy, and kale is a mix of crispy and chewy to your liking.
- Remove breast from bone, and slice. Serve with potatoes and kale, topped with more salt if needed!