The most flavorful appetizer! Tender, roasted butternut squash blended with chickpeas and tahini for a fun Fall-inspired take on hummus, topped with rosemary-garlic crispy chickpeas. Scoop up with pita chips or soft, fluffy naan.
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash (about 1lb, peeled)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 15oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Toss 3 cups cubed butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Arrange on a large baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, until squash is tender and caramelized. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup tahini, 2 garlic cloves and 1 tablespoon lime juice to food processor and blend to combine and chop up garlic. The tahini might start to seize up a bit, but that's okay!
- Reserve 1/3 cup chickpeas and set aside. Add remaining chickpeas to processor, along with roasted butternut squash, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 4 tablespoons olive oil. Blend to combine and add 2-4 tablespoons water as needed to get your desired consistency. You shouldn't need more than 4 tablespoons, but if so add more just a little at time.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/3 cup chickpeas, 1 thinly sliced garlic clove and 1 teaspoon rosemary to a small pan. Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are crispy. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Serve hummus topped with crispy chickpeas and a drizzle of olive oil, if desire. Serve with raw vegetables, pita chips or fresh pita or naan!