Chicken meatballs made with garlic, ginger and lots of fresh herbs simmered in a quick thai green curry. Serve with rice or noodles for a filling, comforting meal.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 lb ground sausage (chicken or pork)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chopped basil
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-in piece of ginger, minced or grated
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2-4 tablespoons green curry paste (depending on how spicy your paste is!)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cans coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce
- Garnish: Cilantro, basil, green onions, etc.
- Combine 1 pound ground chicken, 1 pound sausage, 1 egg, 1/2 cup basil, 1/2 cup cilantro, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 minced garlic clove, 1-inch worth of ginger and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk (just grab from the cans you’ll use for the curry!) in a large bowl.
- Mix with a fork or your hands until just combined - do not overmix! Use a large spoon or cookie scoop to form meatballs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat in a large dutch oven or saucepan. Add meatballs in a single layer (you’ll need to do this in batches) and let cook for about 5 minutes, turning to brown on all side. You’re not fully cooking them at this point, but you do want the meatballs to get nice and brown. Set aside on a plate.
- Once all the meatballs are browned, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan, along with 1 sliced onion. Reduce heat to medium.
- Saute onions for 5-7 minutes, until they just start to brown. Add remaining 3 cloves of garlic and ginger and let cook for an additional minute.
- Add 2-4 tablespoons (see note) green curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 red bell pepper and 3 cups broccoli and let cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add remaining coconut milk and 1/2 cup stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and add meatballs back into the pot. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes, until meatballs are fully cooked.
- Turn off heat and add 1 cup peas, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce. Stir to combine and let peas warm through. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- This is a very meatball-heavy curry, but feel free to either cut the meatball recipe in half OR make the full batch and cook half of them separately. They are so good on their own, and great for meal prep! Either cook them in the pan, or in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes.
- The amount of curry paste you add is totally up to you. The brand I love (Mae Ploy) is pretty spicy so a couple of tablespoons is more than enough (although I generally do the full 4!). If you're not sure, start with just 2 when you add the paste in. Continue with the recipe and then taste it after step 7. If you think it can use more, just whisk a little more in!