A crispy, golden grilled cheese sandwich with rosé-spiked caramelized onion jam. Great way to elevate a classic!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rosé
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 8 slices bread
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 oz shredded white cheddar
- 4 oz shredded gruyere
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add 2 large thinly sliced onions and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and let cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until onions are soft, light brown and just start to caramelize.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup rosé and 4 sprigs of thyme and stir to combine. Increase heat to medium again and let cook for an additional 15 minutes, until onions are jammy. Remove thyme stems and let cool slightly.
- When ready to make grilled cheese, combine 4 oz white cheddar and 4 oz gruyere in a small bowl. Heat a large frying pan (use the same one you did the onions in if you want!) over medium heat.
- Add 1 oz (aka 1/8) cheese mixture to one slice of bread. Top with a spoonful of caramelized onion jam and another 1 oz of cheese. Add second bread on top.
- Spread one side of sandwich with 1 tablespoon of butter. Put sandwich butter side down into preheated pan. Let cook for 4-5 minutes, until bread is golden brown.
- Spread the other side of sandwich with another 1 tablespoon of butter and flip. Let cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and sandwich is golden brown. If you find the cheese is not melting, cover the pan for a minute or two to help it along.
- Serve warm!
- If desired, spread 1 tablespoon of strawberry jam on bread before adding cheese and onions.