A great, kind-of-healthy side dish for your holiday meal. Caramelized onions tossed with kale and parmesan cheese. So easy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 bunch of kale, tough stems removed and leaves torn or chopped roughly
- 1 oz parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 large thinly sliced onion. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Let onions cook for 3-5 minutes, until they are soft.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking onions, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes until onions are golden brown, soft and caramelized. Adjust the heat as needed so the onions don't burn.
- Add 1 bunch kale and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan and toss to combine. The onions will want to clump up, so take some time to ensure everything is mixed well. Increase heat to medium-high and let everything cook for 3-5 minutes or until kale is cooked down and soft, but a little crisp at the edges.
- Turn off the heat and add 1oz grated parmesan. Toss to combine. Serve with a squeeze of lemon and additional parmesan if desired!
- If you made this turkey and want to use those onions, start by letting the onions cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes to reduce the juices. Then reduce to low and continue cooking to caramelize as usual. Since the onions got a head start in the oven, this will likely only take about 10 minutes. Then proceed with the rest of the recipe as described.