Trying to figure out what to do with Thanksgiving leftovers? Turn them into an incredible Thanksgiving Strata! Not only does this dish help you use up leftover stuffing, mashed potatoes, vegetables AND leftover turkey, but it's super easy to throw together no matter what you have on hand.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 cups stuffing/torn bread (about 12oz)*
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup herbs, chopped* (thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley, etc.)
- 2 cups mix-ins:
- Shredded leftover turkey
- Cooked Brussels sprouts
- Roasted butternut squash
- Green beans
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese + more for serving
- To serve: Leftover gravy
- Preheat oven to 350. Spread 2 tablespoons softened butter in dish (I use a cast iron, but a 9x9 baking dish works too!).
- If using fresh bread instead of stuffing: Tear bread into small pieces (about 2 inches, but don't worry if they are not the same), drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until bread is dry and slightly toasted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk 6 eggs until they are well combined and no yellow streaks remain. Add 1 1/2 cups milk, 2 grated/minced garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1/4 cup chopped herbs and whisk to combine. Add 2 cups of mix-ins (turkey, green beans, etc.) and stir to combine.
- Add 6 cups stuffing/bread and use a spatula to fold in really well so all the bread is coated and most of the liquid is absorbed. If things look dry, add up to another 1/2 cup whole milk. Pour in pan.
- If baking the next day, cover pan at this point and place in the fridge.
- If baking right away, let strata sit for 15 minutes to allow the bread a little extra time to absorb the liquid.
- Dollop 1 cup mashed potatoes all over the strata, lifting up some pieces of bread to get some potatoes throughout. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until the top is brown and crunchy. Serve with more parmesan cheese, if desired, and leftover gravy.
- This strata is meant to be made with leftover stuffing that is made from fresh, large-ish bread cubes rather than the pulverized stuffing mixes (which is the kind of stuffing my family eats!). The latter is delicious but can get a little soggy so to make this you'd still want to use some fresh bread and then mix in some of your leftover stuffing as well!
- You can mix-in pretty much anything, just make sure all of it is pre-cooked as anything raw likely won't cook in time
- The garlic, herbs and smoked paprika are just for extra flavor and can totally be left out if your leftover stuffing was cooked with a lot of seasonings. However, I always have extra herbs around this time of year so I like to throw a handful in.