Perfect for a date night in, these Instant Pot boneless short ribs are a delicious meal for a special occasion (or a regular ol’ Tuesday)! Pressure cooked and braised in a super flavorful miso broth with wine, these boneless short ribs are fall apart tender and perfect piled on top of my creamy small batch mashed potatoes!
- 1 pound boneless beef short ribs (about 4)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil (I used avocado)
- 1 small onion or shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon red miso paste
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Turn Instant Pot on to 'saute' function. Heat for at least 5 minutes.
- Pat 1 pound of boneless beef short ribs dry with a paper towel and season all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Once pot is hot, add 2 teaspoons oil and place short ribs in pot. Sear for 5 minutes, or until the first side is deeply browned. Flip and brown ribs for another minute or two just to get some color on the other side, and then remove short ribs from pot. If using the mini Instant Pot, sear the short ribs in batches.
- Add 1 small, diced onion or shallot to pot and saute for 3-5 minutes, until softened and just starting to brown.
- Add 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon red miso paste and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 teaspoons maple syrup or brown sugar, 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock and 1/2 cup dry white wine. Use a wooden spoon to combine everything, dissolve miso and syrup/sugar and to scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pot.
- Once liquid is boiling, turn off Instant Pot and add short ribs back to the pot, along with any juices that have accumulated.
- Turn Instant Pot to Pressure Cook. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes and then let naturally release for 15 minutes. Carefully vent and release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Remove short ribs and then turn Instant Pot back to saute. Remove 1/4 cup of the liquid and mix together with 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Slowly add that mixture back to the pot, whisking to incorporate. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes, until sauce is reduced and slightly thickened.
- Serve boneless short ribs with mashed potatoes, rice and/or roasted vegetables.