My favorite take on Niçoise Salad with salmon (specifically slow-baked salmon), fried capers and a punchy lemon vinaigrette. This is a great way to use up leftover salmon and all of the ingredients are easy to make-ahead - hello meal prep! This Niçoise salad with salmon is a meal itself, especially alongside some delicious crusty bread.
- 1 lb salmon, skin on or off*
- 1/2 lb green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, grated or minced
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 anchovy filet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 cup nicoise or kalamata olives
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup capers
- 4-6 cups butter lettuce
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Add 1 lb salmon and 1/2 lb green beans to a large baking sheet. Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil over everything and season with 1 teaspoon salt. Bake for 30 minutes, or until salmon is just cooked and green beans are wilted and look roasted.
- While salmon and green beans cook, add 1 lb baby potatoes into a large pot with 10 cups of water and 2 teaspoons salt. Set heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add 6 eggs and boil those for 8 minutes. Remove eggs and rinse under cold water until cool so you can peel them. Keep boiling potatoes until they are tender.
- While potatoes/eggs boil, make dressing by combining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 minced or grated garlic clove, 2 teaspoons dijon mustard, 1 anchovy filet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (if using), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Whisk or shake to combine. Set aside.
- When potatoes are done, drain and then return to pot. Prick potatoes with a fork or small knife and then toss with 3 tablespoons of your dressing. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small frying pan. Add 1/4 cup capers and fry until they get a little crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Drain capers on a paper towel and then add remaining oil in pan to your dressing.
- To assemble salad, arrange torn butter leaves on a large platter or in individual bowls or plates. Flake salmon into large pieces and place on lettuce. Cut potatoes and eggs in half and add to salad, along with 1/2 cup olives, sliced shallots, roasted green beans and fried capers. Drizzle with dressing or serve on the side.
- This salad can be served with ingredients warm, room temperature or cold.
- This Nicoise Salad is a great way to use up some leftover slow-baked salmon! If you do that, you can just roast the green beans on their own AND you can totally roast them at a higher temp for less time (400 for 12-15 minutes)! You can also just boil the green beans if you prefer.
- To prep this salad ahead of time, prepare all the components and store separately. I'd wait to cut the eggs until you are ready to serve, but you can totally store the potatoes, green beans and olives together if you'd like. If you have the time, frying the capers at the last minute is fun but you can definitely do that ahead of time too.
- Sometimes I use my lemon garlic vinaigrette (if I have it on hand) instead of the dressing here to make things even easier.