An almost fancy salad for one with perfectly seared steak, juicy cherries and easy parmesan crisps.
- 4 oz steak
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2-3 cups arugula
- ½ teaspoon champagne vinegar
- 5 cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds
- Balsamic glaze (optional)
- Heat a medium sized nonstick pan to medium high heat. Sprinkle steak on both sides with salt and pepper, and rub with oil.
- Once pan is hot, sear steak for 4-5 minutes, flipping once. Remove and let rest while you prepare rest of salad.
- Let pan cool down for a minute, then wipe out with a paper towel and place over medium heat.
- Using the tablespoon measure, place three rounded piles of parmesan in pan. Let cook until cheese melts and flattens, about 4 minutes.
- Place arugula in bowl, and toss with olive oil and vinegar. Season with a little salt.
- Top with sliced steak, parmesan crisps, cherries and sunflower seeds. Drizzle a little balsamic glaze if desired.
- Eat immediately!
If you have leftover steak, definitely use it. This is the perfect recipe for it! Depending on how much arugula you use, you might decide you need a tiny bit more oil. Feel free to drizzle a little more until the leaves are all perfectly coated.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
Keywords: cooking for one, steak salad, steak, single serve recipes, salad recipes
Hello hello! Would you like a salad? A sort of, just a little fancy salad, maybe?
Salads might seem like a really sad excuse for a dinner, especially when cooking for one. But in reality, a great salad can be as decadent as a steak dinner.
Especially, um, when you put steak in that salad.
Salads don't always need a recipe, even ones like this with all the things thrown in, but I've devised little ways of making salads for one super easy, filling and delicious over the years and it's worth sharing.
This salad is built on a bed of arugula - that slightly peppery green that is perfect here with the sweet cherries. If arugula isn't your thing, try baby spinach, mixed spring greens or maybe butter lettuce. I wouldn't use romaine or iceberg lettuce here, but almost anything else will work!
The key to dressing salads when you're just cooking/assembling for one, is building the dressing right in your bowl. In this case you're literally just drizzling a little olive oil, champagne vinegar (other vinegars work too!) and a sprinkle of salt over the arugula and giving it a little tossy toss.
Then it's just a matter of adding your sliced steak, perfectly juicy cherries, sunflower seeds and parmesan crisps (SO EASY!!) and you're good to go! I cook the steak and parmesan in the same pan because I love you, and - let's be honest - the amounts in this recipe are totally just a suggestion because you love you.
Salad for dinner. YOU'RE WELCOME.