Vegan chipotle cauliflower tacos are perfect for Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday or any other day of the week. Blend up a spicy marinade with chipotle in adobo and roast with cauliflower for the perfect, easy taco filling. Top with a quick homemade pico and you've got a great weeknight dinner!Print
Vegan chipotle cauliflower tacos are perfect for Meatless Monday, Taco Tuesday or any other day of the week. Blend up a spicy marinade with chipotle in adobo and roast with cauliflower for the perfect, easy taco filling. Top with a quick homemade pico and you've got a great weeknight dinner!
- 1 can chipotle in adobo
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons tequila (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar/agave/honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 head cauliflower (about 4-5 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- Corn tortillas
- Favorite taco toppings: Sliced avocado, radishes, cilantro, sour cream, whatever you like!
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Make marinade: In a blender add 1 can of chipotle in adobo (with sauce), 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons tequila, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon ketchup, 4 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon sugar and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cut 1 head of cauliflower into small florets and toss with about half of the marinade (see note below). Spread out on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, tossing once, until roasted and caramelized.
- To make the pico: Halve or quarter 2 cups cherry tomatoes, depending on how big they are. Mix with ½ cup diced onion, ¼ cup chopped cilantro and the juice of 1 lime. Add salt and pepper to taste and combine. Set aside.
- Warm the tortillas to your liking (I do mine in my cast iron on medium-high heat, flipping a few times until they are charred), slice up some avocado, cut up limes, etc.
- When the cauliflower is done, assemble your tacos. I like to start with 1-2 tortillas, lay down a few avocado slices and top with cauliflower and pico. Add a little more lime and you’re good to go!
- The original recipe for this marinade called for vodka, but I prefer tequila. If you want to stay away from alcohol you can totally just use water or broth.
- Make sure to taste the marinade before tossing with the cauliflower to determine how much you need. I would start with about ½ of the marinade, taste a little floret and decide from there if you want to add more based on how spicy you like things. If the cauliflower looks dry, drizzle on up to another tablespoon of oil before roasting.
Guys, be honest with me for a second here. Is there anything better than a taco?
No? Good, we're on the same page. Let's talk about cauliflower tacos, shall we?
It took me a while to realize I didn't need meat in a tortilla to make me happy, but I like to think I've made up for lost time. Recently, I've been on a bit of a cauliflower kick (that was a weird thing to type), and we know I'm always on a taco kick so, really, cauliflower tacos were inevitable.
I love making tacos when I entertain, and I generally like to make a meat filling (like these bomb.com slow cooker carnitas) (sorry I said bomb.com) and something more vegetable-forward for my vegan/vegetarian friends. These chipotle cauliflower tacos definitely do the trick!
Speaking of chipotle, this chipotle marinade is....OH MY WORD. I first found this recipe a million years ago on Chrissy Teigen's blog (remember her blog??) and have adapted it over the years. The recipe below makes a whole bunch, but don't you worry - you can use it on pretty much everything. Meat! Seafood! Other vegetables! EVERYTHING.
I really wanted these to be vegan cauliflower tacos, so I just topped mine with avocado and a super easy to put together pico. I like spicy things so this was perfect for me. But! These would be great with a little dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt to cool things down a bit. Cheese wouldn't hurt either.
Cheese never hurts.
Either way, give these a try and make sure to tell everyone you can eat double the amount because cauliflower basically turns you into a superhero.