A quick and easy weeknight meal. Comes together in around 30 minutes without skimping on any flavor.
- 2 tablespoons oil (anything neutral like vegetable, grapeseed, etc)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can jackfruit (about 1lb)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ small red onion, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 ½ cups roasted corn
- Avocado, sliced
- Combine all the ingredients for the pico in a bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside while you make jackfruit.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for about 5 minutes, until they soften and just start to brown.
- Add jackfruit, shredding it a little if needed to make smaller pieces. Add garlic and spices and mix to combine.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until jackfruit starts to crisp up.
- Add orange juice and stir. Continue cooking until juice is mostly absorbed.
- Assemble bowls with rice, corn, jackfruit, pico and avocado. Top with sliced jalapeno, cilantro or anything else you want!
- I love using the frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe's for this dish because it's totally ready to go. Just defrost/warm it up and you're good to go. If you don't have access, you can add some regular frozen or canned (or fresh!) corn to the jackfruit mixture right at the end of cooking to help add some flavor.
- You can make all the components for this dish ahead of time and keep in the fridge all week for a quick, easy dinner.
- These jackfruit carnitas are great in tacos, salads, etc. Burrito bowls are definitely not your only option here!
I know using jackfruit to make vegetarian/vegan carnitas has already had its moment, but I've had a can sitting in my pantry for months so I couldn't not do this, you know?
You guys know I love my carnitas. It's my taco filling of choice, and my go-to when I'm entertaining people for the first time. So when I decided I wanted to share more vegetarian dishes here, I knew I needed some sort of take on my carnitas.
While I love the pork aspect of the original, it's really the spices that are my fave. It's a bunch of my favorite spices all mixed together to give the dish a ton of flavor. I've shared the specific spice measurements above, but if you happen to keep my house seasoning on hand you can also use that to make this one of the easiest dishes to make EVER.
Burrito bowls are always such a great weeknight dinner option (IMHO) because many of the components can be made ahead or even store-bought. For example, the corn I have here is the frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe's I'm obsessed with.
I made a quick pico, but you can definitely just use your favorite store-bought salsa instead. You can even buy your rice already cooked! There is a world in which you literally only have to make the jackfruit carnitas (which takes all of, like, 15 minutes) and then you will magically have a filling meal on the table.
I don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure that's considered a parent win??