Soft, chewy blondies filled with apples and drizzled with a bourbon-spiked glaze
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups peeled, chopped apples
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ⅔ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ⅓ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons brown butter (reserved from blondies)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper.
- Cut butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and melt over medium heat. Once the butter has fully melted, begin to stir as it foams. Keep stirring until butter becomes a caramel-like color and dark bits start to form at the bottom of pan. Pull the butter once browned and immediately transfer to a large bowl. Transfer two tablespoons into a small bowl to use for the glaze later. Let butter cool while you prepare apples.
- Add chopped apples to the same pan you browned the butter in, along with maple syrup. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until apples soften. Remove from heat.
- Add brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, spices and salt to butter and whisk to combine. Add baking powder and whisk again really well to make sure it's fully mixed in.
- Fold in flour until just combined, and then fold in apples.
- Spread into pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until edges are set but middle is still a little bit gooey. Let blondies cool completely before glazing.
- Whisk together reserved butter (stick in the microwave if it's solidified - which it probably will be), bourbon, milk and vanilla until combined. Whisk in powdered sugar and mix until smooth. If the glaze feels too thick, add more milk a teaspoon at a time until you get your desired consistency.
- Drizzle glaze on cooled blondies.
Recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
It's a million degrees outside, but we're here because I refuse to wait any longer. It's time to put apples in allllll the baked goods.
Cakes! Pies! BLONDIES!
This recipe comes from Sally's Baking Addiction, with just a few little tweaks due to a lack of ingredients in a just-moved-into kitchen. So this version has slightly less butter (gasp!). Also I added a little bourbon.
I mean, of course I did. There's something about brown butter and apples and cinnamon and literally everything else here that made me feel like this glaze needed bourbon.
I regret nothing. But also you can leave it out if bourbon is not your thing. Just replace it with more milk!
Another fun tweak of mine? Mixing in the baking powder with the wet ingredients so I don't have to mix it with the flour in a separate bowl because that's how much I don't want to do dishes. It's a trick I learned from Smitten Kitchen, and it's the best thing ever.
I hope it's starting to feel like Fall wherever you are. But even if it's not, it's the perfect time for these brown butter apple blondies. Because, let's be honest, it's always the perfect time for these brown bu......
....well, you get it.
Long live apple season!