Chipotle sweet potato soup with honey roasted chickpeas
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potato (about 6 cups diced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 chipotle in adobo + 2 tablespoons sauce (depending on how spicy you want this!)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until they start to color just start to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, ground coriander and cumin and cook for another minute to lightly toast the spices.
- Add sweet potatoes and salt and stir to combine. Let cook for 5 minutes, and then add vegetable stock and chipotle. Give it a good stir and raise the heat to high to allow it to come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 20ish minutes until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- While soup is simmering, preheat oven to 400. Mix chickpeas, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, honey and smoked paprika and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet (parchment or foil lined helps here). Roast for 20-25 minutes, until chickpeas brown and get a little crispy. Remove pan and sprinkle with salt. They will continue to crisp for a few minutes out of the oven.
- When sweet potatoes are done, turn off heat and carefully transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Do this in batches to be safe, or you can use an immersion blender if you prefer!
- Transfer soup back into pot, add coconut milk and stir. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. If soup is too spicy at this point, feel free to add more coconut milk, or even a little honey, to balance things out.
- Serve soup with roasted chickpeas on top.
You know what? I think this might be my favorite time of year dinner-wise. In between the big holiday meals, work lunches and parties filled with nothing but cocktails, cookies and cheese boards (so. many. cheese. boards. ) we all just need some really good, wholesome food.
The kind of food you can curl up with on the couch while deciding if you really need to watch Love, Actually AGAIN before just admitting to yourself that yes, of course, you will always really need to watch Love, Actually AGAIN. Duh.
I recently found myself with an absurd number of sweet potatoes and couldn't get the idea of a super creamy soup out of my head. Obviously the sweet potatoes (and a good ol' blender) lend themselves to making the smoothest soup ever, but I couldn't help myself and went ahead and made a creamy soup even creamier with a touch of coconut milk.
Yes, yes and yes again.
And then since I'm a walking contradiction, I decided I needed some crunch here so I roasted up some chickpeas and called it a day. It's kind of like a soup version of one of my favorite stuffed sweet potato recipes! Fun how that works out, huh?
I love this soup really spicy, but you already saw that coming. Feel free to use less chipotle if you just want a little kick. Start with half a pepper, or even just some of the sauce, and see how it feels. You can always add more at the end if you want. This soup is very forgivable in that way.
I hope you guys love this one. It's easy, healthy and cozy. Perfect to eat before stuffing your face with all the cookies - the real reason for the season.
Yum! Trying this one out on Monday. Would it be ok to just sauté the chic peas with the honey and paprika? They will be less crispy but still delicious.
Yes, that will definitely work!