Sometimes we just need the easiest side dish to put on the table.
No matter how many people are coming over, I can't help but make too much food. It's who I am, so naturally Thanksgiving is my best day. You can't get mad at me - it's Thanksgiving!!
But even I need a few things that are so easy I can do them in my sleep. Or better yet, the day before. This parmesan garlic corn is that dish for me. Just a few ingredients, but perfect next to everything else on our plates.
You probably already have everything you need in your kitchen right now. A bag of frozen corn stashed away in your freezer? Check. Garlic? Check. Parsley? Parmesan? Butter? Check Check CHECK.
(Okay, you need a few more things. But I'm still confident you are prepared.)
If you want to make this a day or two before Thanksgiving, go ahead and do everything except add the parsley and parmesan. BUT - hack alert - chop up your parsley and grate your parmesan so that they're totally ready for you day-of. That way you just need to warm up the dish and throw those last two ingredients in when you're ready to eat. I think it tastes a little fresher that way, but still saves you time.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz sweet corn (frozen is fine!)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ - ⅓ cup parmesan, finely grated
- Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Once hot, add onion and saute for 5-7 minutes until they just start to turn light brown. Add garlic and saute for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add corn, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add parsley and parmesan. Toss well to combine. Taste for seasoning, and add more salt if needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with additional parmesan if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes