A great easy (but fancy looking!) side dish. Serve warm or at room temperature alongside chicken, fish or your favorite vegetarian main.Print
A great easy (but fancy looking!) side dish. Serve warm or at room temperature alongside chicken, fish or your favorite vegetarian main.
- 1 large cabbage
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1-inch ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Cut 1 large cabbage into thick steaks, keeping the core intact to ensure they stay together.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil onto a large baking sheet and place cabbage down in one layer. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and season with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Roast cabbage for 25-30 minutes, flipping once, until cores are very soft and outter leaves are caramelized.
- While cabbage roasts, whisk together 2 tablespoons each of orange marmalade and apple cider vinegar. Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard, and grate in 1 garlic clove and 1-inch peeled ginger and mix to combine.
- Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup of olive oil until dressing comes together. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Arrange cabbage on a large platter, drizzle some of the dressing on top and sprinkle with a little flaky sea salt. Serve with more dressing on the side.
Are you ready for the easiest side dish of all time?!
Yes? Yes. YES!
I don't think I've talked about my love of roasted cabbage here. I've definitely mentioned it once or twice over on Instagram (WINK WINK), because sometimes all I do over there is roast vegetables. #content
But really! Have you ever tried roasting cabbage? It's absolutely incredible. When you cut it into kind of thick steaks/wedges, and roast at a fairly high heat, you get these amazing caramelized pieces right combined with more tender, sweet bites. So so good.
While it's perfect as-is (literally just olive oil, salt and pepper), I added a sweet little dressing here that takes this completely over the top. The secret ingredient there? Orange marmalade!
I first made a version of this when I was home over the holidays and loved the combo. The dressing itself is that sweet marmalade, some vinegar, olive oil, a little mustard, garlic and fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes. Super simple to throw together, but something about the caramelization of the super roasted cabbage combined with this sweet, yet puckery, dressing makes this downright addictive.
And I can assure you, I never ever thought I would use the word "addictive" when talking about cabbage.
Adulting is weird.