Sweet and tangy cherry barbecue ribs.
- 3 lb rack of ribs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 –1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Combine salt, cumin and chili powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle all over ribs on both sides.
- Wrap ribs tightly in foil and place on large baking sheet. Bake for 2 1/2 – 3 hours.
- While ribs are cooking, combine cherries, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, mustard, soy sauce and cayenne (if using) in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until cherries break down and everything is combined. Carefully transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour back in pan and heat over low until thick,
- When ribs are done (tender and almost falling off the bone), remove from oven and increase heat to 500 (or as hot as you feel comfortable with your oven going).
- Pull back foil, brush ribs with sauce (about 3/4 cup worth) and place back in hot oven for 5-10 minutes or until sauce becomes a sticky glaze.
- Serve with extra cherry barbecue sauce.
Can you believe I made it this far in life, and this was the first time I ever made ribs?? As I’m thinking about it, this might actually only be like the third time I’ve even eaten ribs!
As a Texan, it feels weird. As an Indian-American, not surprising.
Growing up, barbecues were this amazing mix of hamburgers and hot dogs with spicy grilled chicken and seafood. But no ribs. Never ribs.
However, 32 years of life later and I found myself with a lot of ribs in my freezer. So it happened!
My recipe is for oven ribs, but if you have a grill you can totally finish them off on that and get an even smokier finished dish. Please invite me over if you do.
I know this one takes a little time, but as far as I know ribs are not an express meal. The good news is that they’re mostly hands off, so start them in the morning and by the time all your friends arrive for your afternoon barbecue, you’ll be good to go. Summer party win!
Hope you love this one!!