I am so excited to share this recipe today! We know I love no-churn ice cream and we also know I love me some lemon-blueberry goodies, so this one is a real winner. No-churn lemon blueberry tahini ice cream - win win win.
I'm also a little surprised this is my first no-churn ice cream recipe of the summer. After I discovered the technique last year, I was so sure I would have like 10 versions to share this summer.
I can't remember when I decided I wanted to put tahini in my ice cream, but it officially happened almost immediately after I ordered four (!) jars of this tahini. It's the BEST tahini I've ever tried - so smooth and creamy and pourable. It's borderline magical. And in this ice cream it lends that perfect nutty flavor without an overpowering peanut butter flavor (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Before you ask, of course you don't have to order special tahini from Amazon. BUT I highly suggest finding a tahini that is on the thinner, creamier side so that it is easy to combine with the other ingredients. I really love the one Trader Joe's has, and I've also had luck with this brand (I'm generally able to find it in the international aisle of my local store).
If you're not familiar with no-churn ice cream, it's this incredible thing that happens when you mix sweetened condensed milk with whipped cream and freeze it. The texture is not exactly the same as regular ice cream, but it's so satisfying and delicious and requires NO ice cream maker. It's never not exciting.
Hope you enjoy this one!
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup tahini, well-stirred
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Combine blueberries, water, honey and lemon zest in a small saucepan set to medium-high heat. Once blueberries start to break down, turn heat to medium-low and let mixture simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring and smashing blueberries every few minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Whisk together sweetened condensed milk, tahini, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whip heavy whipping cream until you get whip cream.
- Carefully fold tahini mixture in with whip cream and mix until combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into a loaf pan. Add half of the blueberry compote and swirl to combine. Add the remaining ice cream and then blueberries and swirl again.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Let ice cream sit out for 10-15 minutes before serving.